At Cottage Industries, we know it can be overwhelming to take on a Main Line home renovation project while also raising a family. Sourcing all the elements can take a lot of time, not something busy moms tend to have. Some of the most important decisions that need to be made concern which finishes will complement the look and feel of your existing home while at the same time meeting your practical needs.
Finishes make a big difference in the look and functionality of the rooms they’re chosen for. While one homeowner may view the experience like being let loose in a candy store, another may feel completely stressed by having so many choices. The endless array of knobs, fixtures, countertop materials, flooring, moldings, and lightning (and that’s not all!) can be exhausting. If you’re worrying about how to choose finishes when remodeling on the Main Line, here are some tips we hope will keep the process fun.
Choosing kitchen finishes can actually be a fun family process.
- Backsplashes can be both beautiful and functional at the same time. Decide whether you want one that’s placed only above the cooking surface or one that spans across the entire counter area.
- Countertops are most visible aspect of a kitchen, and there are pros and cons to the different materials available. Choices include granite, marble, natural stone, wood, or stainless steel. But the hottest look today that you may want to consider is quartz.
- Cabinets create the overriding feel of your kitchen and, since it’s where everyone probably spends much of their time, you’ll want to think about which ones complement your family’s lifestyle the best. Keep in mind the overall style of your kitchen. Modern looks include open shelves and glass fronts; more traditional cabinets are wood, often with interesting architectural details.
- Flooring was once limited to vinyl, but those days are long gone! There’s hardwood, slate, ceramic tiles, and laminate among others. Think about foot traffic – patterned floors will hide dirt better, for example.
There’s an incredible array of bathroom faucet finishes to choose from.
- Polished Brass is a traditional favorite that also works well in modern settings. Easy to clean, it also has a durable finish.
- Satin Brass, with its brushed-gold look, is bold but not showy. It’s durable and resists fingerprints.
- Oil-Rubbed Bronze gives your bath a more traditional feel and is easy to match with other accessories. It doesn’t show water spots or fingerprints – great for growing families.
- Copper is a bold bathroom choice and gives the room a rich feeling. It looks great in Mediterranean and farmhouse style homes.
- Satin Bronze has a subtler color and a nice, smooth finish. It’s a great alternative to copper and works well in Mediterranean style homes, as well as traditional and eclectic ones.
- Polished Nickel is a nice alternative to chrome or brushed nickel, is easy to clean and has a durable finish.
- Brushed Nickel is one of the most durable finishes, is relatively inexpensive and works well with just about every architectural style.
- Chrome is extremely versatile, making it one of today’s most popular finishes. It’s very easy to clean, is durable and works well in any style home.
- Matte Black faucets are for making a classy statement and complement all colors and styles of accessories. Best for modern and eclectic rooms, but can also work in a traditional setting.
No matter which finishes you choose, try to buy all fixtures and accessories from the same company to avoid color variations. If this still seems overwhelming, consider using our interior design services. Our designer will guide you through the process of choosing finishes, matching styles, and even selecting colors, furniture, and art if you want. You can even do it from the comfort of your home! To learn more, contact us today to get the conversation started.