Outdoor living spaces add function and beauty to your home that can be used almost year-round. To get started, think about what type of project you want to tackle, and its ideal location. Patios, outdoor kitchens, porches, and decks are the most popular outdoor areas Main Line homeowners ask us about. Once you know what you want to build, it’s time to think about design:
- Do you want to go outside from the kitchen, dining, living, or family room? Maybe you want to join two or more of those rooms through a connected exterior space. Establish traffic patterns at the beginning and think about whether they’ll be created with walkways, using landscaping to establish borders, or a combination of both.
- Will any of the area be covered?
- Are you looking to create an outdoor living room with a fireplace?
- Do you love outdoor entertaining? You might want to think about a gas-fed gourmet grill or pizza oven.
- Will you be putting in a spa? Many homeowners like them located off a lower level master suite.
While many outdoor renovation projects can be done in the winter months, it’s best to get them started in the fall before the weather gets too cold. That way, you can be ready to use them in the spring!
Bring the Inside Out
It can be a lot of fun planning a relaxing and stylish outdoor living space for your family and friends to enjoy. Your budget will, of course, dictate your project’s scope, but our in-home consultation is designed to help you create the space you want at a price you can afford. We’ll also tell you what permits you need and go over any special design and construction considerations.
- Outdoor Kitchens do more than let you dine al fresco, they let you bring the entire cooking experiencing outside. If you want to get the most out of the space, design it with your family’s lifestyle in mind. Outdoor wood-fired pizza ovens are terrific, but not if you’d rather just order pizza in. Is there a grill-master in the family? Opt for a tricked-out grilling station. For a simpler approach, use a big-box store grill installed in a custom stone cooking center.
- A Fire Pit can be a practical and beautiful addition that can be used year-round. It adds a cozy element where guests can gather as the day winds down.
- Outdoor Fireplaces add elegance, comfort and warmth. And because they’re outdoors, you can enjoy the beauty and scent of a wood-burning fireplace without worrying about the mess of ashes like you would inside your home.
- A Bar and Grill Combo is perfect if you spend a lot of time entertaining. Barstool seating near the fireplace creates a casual hang-out space all can enjoy.
Landscaping should not be an afterthought; instead, it should be included in the original design. A professional landscaper can help you make the most of your yard’s layout and help you choose the plantings that work for every season. Many homeowners love adding a perimeter wall with accent lighting set into the masonry. Pathway lights and down-lighting on steps add a wonderful ambience. If you want to install a fountain or pond, make sure it’s properly placed – it can easily turn into an eyesore if leaves are constantly dropping into it.
That Special Touch
Pergolas add shade, but they’re also ideal places to mount light fixtures, outdoor fans, or speakers. Some people add colorful outdoor curtains that not only create a gentle perimeter, but offer cool shade on sunny days. And, speaking of speakers, why not consider having an entire sound system installed? Other beautiful touches include arches or trellises, and awnings that allow for coverage during inclement weather.
An outdoor renovation is a great feature that your family will enjoy while increasing the appeal and value of your home. At Cottage Industries, we love designing spaces that improve your family’s quality of life. If you want to learn more about outdoor renovations in the Main Line area, schedule a conversation with us today. We look forward to meeting you!