For homeowners, nothing is quite as exciting – and as terrifying – as a major remodel. On one hand, it offers the perfect opportunity to turn your home into the space you’ve always wanted. But on the other hand, the project involves making plenty of important decisions, and you’ll need to be careful lest you find yourself with remodeler’s remorse. This is when a remodel, which may have started out so well, is bogged down by mistakes or delays – some that are inadvertent, some that aren’t. Fortunately, remodeling regrets can be easily avoided. Here are some useful tips.
1. Plan your remodeling project better. This means getting a clearer idea about the look you want for your home. When homeowners can’t make a final decision about interior design or style during the planning stage, they are more likely to change orders down the road. Learning that a particular surface material or color palette didn’t turn out the way you’ve imagined it has to be the worst – even more so once you’ve realized that a change order usually means delays and extra costs.
Simply knowing which design, style or color scheme you want beforehand can help avoid this. And if you still don’t have a concrete idea of what you like, you can get inspiration from remodeling magazines or websites. Having a visual guide will prove handy later on when you need to communicate what kind of look you want to your choice of remodeler.
2. Try to be patient. A home remodel isn’t something you’ll want to rush. Some people make the mistake of hurrying their project along so it’s completed in time for an important family occasion. Placing a deadline on your renovation is a no-go, not only because it adds more stress to your experience, but also because it leads to remodeler’s remorse. Unique products and materials take longer to order, and enough time should be given if you want your project done right. By limiting your choices to what’s commonly available at the moment (or what’s easier to install), achieving the long-term satisfaction and enjoyment associated with a successful remodel becomes more difficult.
3. Remodel according to your needs. Improved visual appeal is a key part of bathroom or kitchen remodeling. But the project shouldn’t be solely about looks – you’ll want to make sure the renovation perfectly meets your specific needs as well. For instance:
- If your living spaces seem too small or crowded, prioritize getting a home addition for greater comfort and privacy.
- If moving across your kitchen is troublesome, make a redesigned layout or an open-concept plan the primary focus of the project.
- If you live with family members who are aging or have mobility issues, you should integrate safety and accessibility features into your home remodel.
- If there’s always a long line in the bathroom at the start of the day, consider adding a half-bath in your home.
4. Avoid DIY. There are small upgrades that homeowners can do themselves, but something as huge and complex as a remodel will require an actual professional. DIY work invites mistakes and inadvertent damage, not only setting your project back but also adding to your remodeling costs.
5. Get it right the first time by picking a dependable remodeler. Since DIY remodel is a bad idea, what should be your next step? The answer is simple: choose someone who has made it their career to help homeowners like you realize their exact remodeling dreams. And while there are numerous contractors on the Main Line, only a few of them can provide the high-quality results you deserve. To find that one exceptional remodeler, you will need to figuratively sift through mud until you find a gold nugget. Make your search easier by:
- Asking family and friends for local referrals. They’ve already invested in home additions or kitchen remodels at some point, and will be able to point you in the right direction – preferably a business that is already established and maintains a solid reputation.
- Checking for the necessary credentials. These go a long way in ensuring your greater protection should anything go awry during your remodeling project. As you meet with prospective contractors, ask them for proof of qualifications, along with an updated list of client references.
- Watching closely how they interact with you. Whether you’re meeting face-to-face or virtually, it pays to get a feel of how your prospective contractor does business. Do they answer you in a clear and professional manner, or do they just shrug off your questions or give noncommittal answers? Are they transparent with their process, or do they use questionable sales tactics?
You’ll want to work with a remodeler you can be confident in, one who can establish effective communication and tell you exactly what to anticipate during your project. And perhaps more importantly, you’ll want to choose someone you can get along with, not someone who gives you an off vibe. You’ll find that this will make a huge difference on how smoothly and positively your historic restorations or remodeling projects go.
Why That Remodeler Is Cottage Industries, Inc
Homeowners don’t want their remodeling experience to be remorseful. Enjoyable and rewarding, yes, but disappointing, no. Besides careful planning and preparation, you can avoid remodeler’s remorse by choosing a remodeler who has your best interest in mind. For homeowners in and around Wayne, PA, the top choice for residential design and construction is simple: Cottage Industries, Inc. We are:
- Fully Qualified
Cottage Industries, Inc checks all the important boxes in what a great home additions and remodeling company should be. We are licensed, bonded and insured, carrying significant liability coverage and workers’ compensation because we care about your protection.
We have served the home design and renovation needs of the Main Line for over 30 years. Each member of our team is highly trained and experienced – a guarantee that every project we take on will be completed on time and on budget, with no room for costly errors or callbacks.
Cottage Industries, Inc understands how stressful a home addition or remodel can be. Using a personalized approach and a proven, streamlined process that takes every aspect of your project into account, from timeline and budget to thorough prep work and post-remodel cleanup, we ensure that your experience with us will be positive and exemplary.
Schedule Your Design Consultation
Cottage Industries, Inc leads the field in home remodeling and historic restorations. Let our skilled and experienced designers help you take your home’s look and feel to new heights with our top-tier selection, unmatched workmanship and exceptional customer service. We proudly serve homeowners in Devon, PA, and the Greater Philadelphia area. Get in touch with us by calling (610) 293-9750 or filling out this contact form. We look forward to working with you!