At Cottage Industries, we get a lot of clients who are interested in doing a bathroom remodel. Whether you’re sick of your bathroom’s wall-to-wall pink tile, or are just ready for an updated style, it could be time to do over your bathroom. No two bathrooms are alike, and a remodel plan that works for you wouldn’t necessarily work for your neighbor. Therefore, costs can run the gamut. What we’ll do today is discuss bathroom remodel cost estimates, and what features factor into the overall project cost.
Estimating your project price
In the Philadelphia area, according to the 2017 COST VS VALUE REPORT from Remodeling Magazine, an average cost for a midrange bathroom remodel is $19,949 while an average cost for an upscale bathroom remodel is $63,249. Of course, the actual price depends on the scope of work and material selections made.
If you’re looking for a more specific estimate based on your situation and needs, drop us a line. We’re happy to speak with you about what a bathroom remodel might cost for you.
Read more on the 7 factors that impact cost when doing a bathroom remodel.
Breaking down your costs
You’ll better be able to understand the potential costs of a bathroom remodel by reading below. We’ll tell you about the different aspects of remodeling a bathroom, and just where your money will be going.
The biggest cost involved with doing a bathroom remodel is the labor. It takes time and energy to design, plumb, run electric, tile, paint, and more. Every part of a bathroom remodel requires the work of teams of craftsmen and tradesmen.
Here are some of the facets of bathroom remodels that will factor into your labor cost:
- Installing new windows, or changing window location
- Adding new drywall to the bathroom
- Bringing systems up to code and installing new plumbing, electrical, and heating and cooling
- Specialty plumbing for steam showers, spa tubs, or special sinks and fixtures
- Custom lighting and electrical features like steam units, whirlpool tubs, and heated floors
- New bathroom exhaust vents
- Specialty tile or flooring patterns, mosaics, and natural stone
- Shower glass installation
- Custom cabinetry and millwork
Fixtures are the key elements in a bathroom remodel. They show your sense of style and making selections can be a fun part of doing a bathroom remodel.
Think about the kinds of fixtures you would like in your bathroom:
- Sink (double or single) – Perhaps an integrated bowl, simple and elegant. Or maybe you would rather a statement piece more like an object of art.
- Toilet – There’s actually a huge number to choose from. Everything from simple single flush to high tech toilets with seats that raise automatically. Would you like a toilet with LED lights… they have that too!
- Bathtub – A soaker, a whirlpool, a walk-in, free standing, one large enough for a party?
- Shower – How big would you like it? Want multiple shower heads, hand held sprays, LED lighting? It’s all available for the adventurous client.
While you’re picking out your fixtures, your design/build team can help you figure out the best options for cabinetry. Do you like the look of wood, metal, or concrete? What would coordinate well with your sink and other fixtures?
Types of cabinetry to plan for:
- Under sink shelving and drawers
- Bathroom storage
- Linen closets
Whether you prefer a more modern bathroom, or a traditional look, there is cabinetry to match your style. Or, consider custom cabinetry for a unique look to get exactly what you want.
Now you’ll be getting into the smaller details of your bathroom remodel: the finishes. This is where you can really let your style shine. Do you like chrome faucets and cabinet pulls? What kind of tile are you interested in for the shower? Do you like herringbone or basket weave tile styles for your floor?
Finishes you’ll want to consider:
- Tile or marble
Think about how lighting will play a role in the design of your bathroom. Recessed lighting over the sink area is one option, or you could pick wall sconces or ceiling-mounted lights. If you really want to go grand, consider a chandelier over the bathtub.
Read more about decorative lighting and what’s popular in 2015.
Your dream bathroom
Whatever you’ve been dreaming about for your bathroom remodel, we’re here to help your vision become a reality. Come sit down with us, we’d love to hear your ideas and share ours.